Teaching English To Speakers Of Other Languages (Tesol) Certificate Program
Earn your Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate and gain the necessary skills to teach English to speakers of other languages abroad. Native speaking English teachers with TESOL certificates are in demand, especially in countries such as China and Korea. Begin an exciting career teaching English abroad!
Our well-designed curriculum is taught by experienced and highly qualified faculty. This 120-hour non-credit certificate program consists of two courses that build upon each other:
- Teaching English to Speakers Of Other Languages (TESOL) Basics - FALL 2022
$1999; meets weekly 6-9 PM on Tuesdays and alternate weeks 9 AM–2 PM on Saturdays; 9/27-12/3/2022
- Teaching English to Speakers Of Other Languages (TESOL) Grammar - WINTER 2023
$1699; meets weekly 6-9 PM on a weekday, plus 1.6 hours of self-study every week; winter 2023 dates will be available in late 2022 (please check back!)
Students begin with TESOL Basics and then take TESOL Grammar after they successfully complete the Basics course.
This program introduces major approaches and effective methods in the second language acquisition field. In addition to four hours of classroom observation as part of the regular class sessions, students must also complete a six-hour classroom observation/practicum working with ESL/ELL students on their own. Please note that this certificate is not an equivalent to an ELL endorsement or certificate to teach in WA state schools.
Course topics include:
- Understanding learner factors, motivation, styles, and backgrounds
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Classroom management: Teaching across age groups or in a multi-level classroom
- Class observations and practicum: co-teach or assist in an ESL class
- Effective teaching methods
- Technology in the classroom
- Assessment and testing
- Different ways of developing a lesson plan
- Interactive projects, videos, and guest speakers
- For TESOL Basics:
How To Teach English Book with DVD; 1st Edition (Jeremy Harmer, ISBN: 9781405853095, Pearson Education ESL)
- For TESOL Grammar:
Grammar for English Language Teachers, 2nd Edition (Martin Parrott, ISBN: 9780521712040, Cambridge University Press)
By the completion of the first course, you will have:
- gained an understanding of principles of effective communicative language teaching
- developed an understanding of different learner factors and learning styles and implications for selection of teaching methods
- improved your understanding of the role of grammar in second language instruction
- reflected on and practiced the role of the teacher in the language classroom
- developed and investigated strategies and activities for teaching in a four-skills ESL/EFL course
- gained hands-on experience in different teaching methods to facilitate learners’ language skills
- utilized opportunities to gain practical experiences and cultural awareness in language teaching through classroom observations and demonstrations
- practiced preparing, presenting and critiquing lesson plans
- examined factors involved in the selection of appropriate instructional materials
- gained an awareness of the role that a TESOL certificate plays in employment in the field of teaching English to non-native speakers
By the completion of the second course, you will have:
- developed an understanding of the role of grammar in second language instruction
- gained fluency in explaining grammar
- the ability to explain, present, and provide examples of various grammar points
- demonstrated an ability to recognize and identify grammatical errors, and know how to fix them
- created a bibliography of credible grammar sources
- demonstrated an ability to talk about, work with, and teach grammar structures
- created several worksheets and two lesson plans to be used in future ESL classes
- become aware of the role that a TESOL certificate plays in employment in the field of teaching English to non-native speakers
- Native speakers of English who want to work internationally teaching English
- International students who are studying in the U.S. and want to teach English overseas
- Current tutors and teachers of English language learners at tutoring centers and nonprofit agencies who would like to gain comprehensive skills and become certified
Note: Application deadline to be decided - please check back for updates.
- Step 1: Email us. Email us all required documents and use TESOL Application as the subject line of your email:
a. Letter of application: Let us know why you are interested, your related experiences that will help prepare you for this program, your professional goals in this area, and how do you think the TESOL certificate will help you achieve these goals.
b. A copy of your diploma or an unofficial transcript that documents your completion of a BA/BS degree.
c. For non-native English speakers, you must ALSO submit one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language score (TOEFL) (minimum score of 92)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (minimum band score of 7
- Other English proficiency test score that is equivalent to the scores listed above
- Step 2: Interview
Once all application materials have been submitted, you will be contacted to schedule a phone or virtual interview.
- Step 3: Register for your first course before the quarter starts
After the phone interview, you will be informed of your acceptance into the program and may register any time after you are officially accepted. Please note that you must pay for the course in full at the time of registration.