Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program
Earn your Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate and gain the necessary skills to teach English to speakers of other languages abroad. Native speaking English teachers with TESOL certificates are in demand, especially in countries such as China and Korea. Begin an exciting career teaching English abroad!
Our well-designed curriculum is taught by experienced and highly qualified instructors. This non-credit certificate program consists of two courses that build upon each other:
- Teaching English to Speakers Of Other Languages (TESOL) Basics - FALL 2023
$1999; meets weekly 6-9pm on a weekday and alternate weeks 9am–2pm on Saturdays; date TBA (please check back in summer!)
- Teaching English to Speakers Of Other Languages (TESOL) Grammar - WINTER 2024
$1699; meets weekly 6-9pm on a weekday, plus 1.6 hours of self-study every week; date TBA (please check back in summer!)
Students begin with TESOL Basics and then take TESOL Grammar after they successfully complete the Basics course.
This program introduces major approaches and effective methods in the second language acquisition field. In addition to four hours of classroom observation as part of the regular class sessions, students must also complete a six-hour classroom observation/practicum working with ESL/ELL students on their own. Please note that this certificate is not an equivalent to an ELL endorsement or certificate to teach in WA state schools.
Course topics include:
- Understanding students' motivation, styles, and backgrounds
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Classroom management: Teaching across age groups or in a multi-level classroom
- Class observations and practicum: co-teach or assist in an ESL class
- Effective teaching methods
- Technology in the classroom
- Assessment and testing
- Different ways of developing a lesson plan
- Interactive projects, videos, and guest speakers
"I loved learning from such knowledgeable instructors and it was nice to meet a new group of people."
"Course content was great. I learned so much and having two different teachers with different teaching styles was a huge asset to this particular course."
- For TESOL Basics:
How To Teach English Book with DVD; 1st Edition (Jeremy Harmer, ISBN: 9781405853095, Pearson Education ESL)
- For TESOL Grammar:
Grammar for English Language Teachers, 2nd Edition (Martin Parrott, ISBN: 9780521712040, Cambridge University Press)
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Basics:
- Gain an understanding of principles of effective communicative language teaching
- Develop an understanding of different learner factors and learning styles and implications for selection of teaching methods
- Improve your understanding of the role of grammar in second language instruction
- Reflect on and practiced the role of the teacher in the language classroom
- Develop and investigated strategies and activities for teaching in a four-skills ESL/EFL course
- Gain hands-on experience in different teaching methods to facilitate learners’ language skills
- Utilize opportunities to gain practical experiences and cultural awareness in language teaching through classroom observations and demonstrations
- Practice preparing, presenting and critiquing lesson plans
- Examine factors involved in the selection of appropriate instructional materials
- Gain an awareness of the role that a TESOL certificate plays in employment in the field of teaching English to non-native speakers
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Grammar:
- Develop an understanding of the role of grammar in second language instruction
- Gain fluency in explaining grammar
- Able to explain, present, and provide examples of various grammar points
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize and identify grammatical errors, and know how to fix them
- Create a bibliography of credible grammar sources
- Demonstrate an ability to talk about, work with, and teach grammar structures
- Create several worksheets and two lesson plans to be used in future ESL classes
- Become aware of the role that a TESOL certificate plays in employment in the field of teaching English to non-native speakers
- Native speakers of English who want to work internationally teaching English
- International students who are studying in the U.S. and want to teach English overseas
- Current tutors and teachers of English language learners at tutoring centers and nonprofit agencies who would like to gain comprehensive skills and become certified
Note: Please submit your application materials for the 2022-23 cohort before Friday, September 15, 2023.
- Step 1: Email us. Email us all required documents and use TESOL Application as the subject line of your email:
a. Letter of application: Let us know why you are interested, your related experiences that will help prepare you for this program, your professional goals in this area, and how do you think the TESOL certificate will help you achieve these goals.
b. A copy of your diploma or an unofficial transcript that documents your completion of a BA/BS degree.
c. For non-native English speakers, you must ALSO submit one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language score (TOEFL iBT) (minimum score of 92)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (minimum band score of 7
- Other English proficiency test score that is equivalent to the scores listed above
- Step 2: Interview
Once all application materials have been submitted, you will be contacted to schedule a phone or virtual interview.
- Step 3: Register for your first course before the quarter starts
After the phone interview, you will be informed of your acceptance into the program and may register any time after you are officially accepted. Please note that you must pay for the course in full at the time of registration.