Continue building upon the skills that you learned in our Level 1 course. During this intermediate class, you'll have the opportunity to expand your American Sign Language vocabulary and cultural skills in order to communicate more effectively. Increase your visual awareness and comprehension skills through instruction and practice with fellow students. Improve your understanding of basic grammatical principles and put them to work in class. Learn more about the history of the deaf community and its language. Recommended/suggested textbook: Master ASL - Level One (with DVD) by Jason E. Zinza, ASIN: BOON4F390Q.
Upon successful completion, learners should be able to understand, identify, and express:
- common vocabulary on several themes
- incorporating numbers with signs expressing time, age, money and pronouns
- enhanced use of non-manual signals and directional verbs
- identify locations, give directions and discuss transportation
- basic use of classifiers, incorporating the technique into basic storytelling
- more cultural information such as Deaf language, humor, philosophy and art
Master ASL - Level One (with DVD) by Jason E. Zinza, ASIN: BOON4F390Q
Who Should Take This Class?
- Students who have previously completed our Level 1 class
- Anyone with basic ASL skills, including fingerspelling and basic signs
This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins. Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.