Drawing is the basis of all visual art, and it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. In this class for beginners, increase your imagination, creativity, and perception through the practice of drawing!
Learn the fundamentals of drawing: light, shadow, proportions, details, perspective and three dimensionality. Practice drawing many subjects including animals, nature, people, and still life.
You’ll be surprised how quickly your skills will improve by observing and drawing along with step-by-step class presentation! This process will make it easy to understand and put these techniques into practice.
Once you learn these skills, you’ll find them becoming second nature. This practice will greatly increase your ability to represent the world around you with a pencil or pen.
- Pencils (graphite):
- 2B pencil
- 4B pencil
- 6B pencil
- 8B (Optional)
- Woodless Pencil (6B or 8B) optional
- Drawing paper pad - either 9"x12" or 11"x14"
- White vinyl eraser
- Mechanical eraser, or pink eraser on back of pencil (for detail erasing and drawing white lines on gray areas)
- 3-4 (variety sizes) Paper blending stomps (or paper towel/ tissues for blending, if you can't find these for first day)
- Pencil sharpener (preferably with shaving collector)
- Set of colored pencils (24 to 48)
By the end of this class, you will be able to:
- Learn the various uses for the tools and supplies of drawing
- Draw representational objects and scenes
- Represent 3 dimensional space through the use of light, shadow and detail
- Learn various blending techniques
- Draw 3 dimensional objects -- the building blocks of all other drawings
- Combine three-dimensional objects to make more complex drawings
- Expand your use and understanding of form and line
- Gain a good understanding an ability to use proportions
- Represent three-dimensional objects and scenes using simple perspective
- Utilize light and dark details
- Maximize the use of value, contrast, line, mark making, and details to draw with expression
Who Should Take This Class?
- Anyone interested in learning the joy of drawing
- People who would like to improve their drawing skills
- Anyone who would like to learn to express themselves through drawing
- Everyone who would like to gain the foundational skills of drawing to apply to any visual art medium in the future
This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins.
Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.