Are you planning a trip to Ireland, do you have Irish ancestry or are you otherwise interested in this island in the North Atlantic? Ireland has a long and fascinating history. Develop a better understanding of the country’s history and culture as well as a brief introduction to Irish mythology. Learn about historically significant locations and unusual sites relevant to the culture and history of the country. Gain exposure to a few sites that demonstrate the Neolithic era (standing stones, passage tombs, rock art, etc.), the Bronze/Iron Ages (crannogs, hillforts), the Irish Monastic era (monasteries, churches, museums), as well as an array of museums with collections from a number of time periods. Learn travel tips that will help you plan an enjoyable trip travelling around Ireland.
After this class, students will:
- Have a greater appreciation of lesser-known but historically significant sites to visit in Ireland.
- Better understand the history and culture of Ireland.
- Be better prepared for travel with tips and tricks.
Who Should Take This Class?
- People who are interested in Irish history and culture.
- Anyone interested in learning about travel to Ireland, whether in-person or from the comfort of the classroom.
This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins. Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.