Learn how to carve and create beautiful objects! Gain the basic skills to feel successful and safe carving wood and making your own creations.
During this hands-on class, you will be making two spoons. Get started with the basic skills and safety practices while carving a simple and useful kitchen spoon. Continue to hone your skills as you carve a more decorative "love spoon" -- something often given as a gift. Learn about wood selection, preparing blanks, basic carving techniques, and traditional oil finishing. These skills will help you become prepared for future wood carving projects that you can use in another class or at home.
Stir up your creativity and curiosity with carving your own one-of-a-kind wooden spoons! No previous wood carving experience required.
Supplies Needed Students must bring these items to class:
- Sweep gouge No. 7 or any carving straight or bent gouge No. 7, between 10–12 mm width with a short or long handle (recommended: PFEIL Swiss Made 10 mm Gouge No 7)
- Whittler’s detail knife / sharpen carving knife (recommended: KN13 Flexcut knife)
- Thumb guard and/or cut-resistant gloves
- F-Clamp (recommended: Yost Tools F112 12” FClamp)
- Basic knowledge of wood carving
- How to design and carve spoons
- Confidence in handling wood carving knives safely for a small project
- How to select wood depending on your wood carving project
Who Might Enjoy This Class
- Anyone curious and interested in trying wood carving and whittling
- People who love handcrafting
- Anyone who would like to do a small creative project with like-minded people and guidance from an instructor