Unleash your creativity through fantasy and science fiction art! Learn to draw and paint science fiction and fantasy creatures. Explore the anatomy and proportions of fantasy creatures in order to capture their essence.
Discover how you can depict creatures in action. We will also focus on learning how to draw three dimensionally, using light, shadow, detail, and color to make fantasy creature drawings and paintings come to life.
You’ll learn to combine these skills to depict a variety of creatures, such as: dragons, dinosaurs, mecha, robots, trolls, shape-shifters, cyborgs, mutants, insectoids and animal- and multi- creature hybrids. We will also explore how to depict all of the amazing things they do: running, flying, battling foes, rescuing heroes, breathing fire, and more.
- Pencils (Graphite):
- 2B pencil
- 4B pencil
- 6B pencil
- 8B (Optional)
- Woodless Pencil (6B or 8B) optional
- 70-90 lb Drawing Paper Pad - either 9"x12" or 11"x14"
- White vinyl eraser
- Mechanical Eraser, or pink eraser on back of pencil (for detail erasing and drawing white lines on gray areas)
- 3-4 (variety sizes) Paper Blending Stomps (or paper towel/ tissues for blending, if you can't find these for first day)
- Pencil Sharpener (preferably with shaving collector)
- Set of Colored Pencils (24 to 48)
- Small Inexpensive set of Acrylic Paints 6-12 Colors (at least White, Yellow, Blue, Red- bonus if it has green, purple, orange, or brown) (i.e. Liquitex Basics)
- Small collection of Brushes- Small #1 round, a 1/4" filbert brush, and a 3/8" filbert brush
- Jar or large plastic cup or container (like Yogurt or Peanut Butter Jar) for water
- Paper Towels
- Watercolor Paper Pad (8.5x11", 9x12", or 11x14")
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Depict fantasy creatures through 3D form through light and shadow
- Illustrate motion and action in fantasy creatures
- Have knowledge and skills in the depiction of anatomy and proportions
- Utilize light shadow and geometric objects to depict 3 dimensionalities
- Use color mixing and paint application to depict fantasy creatures in color
- Draw and paint a wide variety of fantasy creatures and characters in dynamic poses
- Illustrate a variety of fantasy creature subject matter
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone who is interested in enriching their lives with the joy of fantasy creature drawing and painting
- Artists who would like to gain or improve their drawing and painting skills and apply those skills to the subject of fantasy creatures
- Anyone interested in fantasy and science fiction who would like to learn to portray characters and creatures
- People currently drawing fantasy art who would like to improve their realism
- Anyone who would like to gain the foundational skills of painting to apply to any visual art medium in the future
This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins.
Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.