Gain an introduction to the basic technology tools used in translation and interpretation and learn how to work with them.
In this class, you will be able to use one of the most common computer assisted translation (CAT) tools, and experience how to process translation professionally and efficiently. You will also have the opportunity to explore technology tools used for interpreting services.
Discover the effects and impacts that technologies like machine-translation software (not to be confused with computer-aided translation tools) have on translators and interpreters in the today’s industry. By familiarizing yourself with translation and interpretation specific technologies, you will be prepared for futher studies in translation and interpretation, as well as future work.
This class is part of our Translation and Interpretation Certificate Program.
No textbook is required.
- Have basic knowledge between machine translation (MT) and CAT, and understand the differences
- Know how to deal with different type of document formats
- Be familiar with different types of technologies for interpreters
- Know how to use one of the most common basic CAT tools
- Understand the process of translation and interpreting services with technologies
- Know how to utilize translation memory
- Analyze and explore the effect by MT in today’s industry
Who Might Enjoy This Class?
Prerequisites: Basic computer skills and the ability to comprehend English and another spoken language at an educated near-native level. Successful completion of Translation and Interpretation: Basics is strongly recommended.
- People who are bilingual or multilingual who are interested in becoming a professional translator or interpreter
- Anyone who knows a second language at a very advanced level (nearly native to educated native level)
- People who work with professional translators and interpreters yet have never used the specific technology, and would like to become more familiar
- Students who have successfully completed our Translation and Interpretation: Basics class
- No previous translation and/or interpretation experience is required