Are you interested in learning how to write a book, but need more information and support to get it done successfully? Learn the art of publishing your book, from writing to editing, design, and final publication.
In this class, the first of a two-part series, we will focus on writing your book and consider all of the questions needed to create excellent content. What is the story you want to tell and how do you tell it? Who is your audience and how do you approach your audience and readers?
Explore storytelling, the editing process, and all of the steps and considerations for writing your book. Consider the visual aspects of your book, including layout, illustration, design, and your book's cover. How do you want the final product to look and feel when it is being held and read?
Next quarter you can take the second class, Publish Your Own Book: Promotion and Distribution, and work towards final publication. Topics will include choosing a publishing house, book promotion, and online retail selling.
You can publish your book in your native language, whether it is English or another language. Instructor Georgetta Gancarz, explains, "I want students to express themselves in their identity and culture. For me as an artist, freedom of self-expression, including culture, is necessary to be true and creative." She has written and published 20 books to date, and also teaches multiple art classes for Continuing Education.
What You Will Need
Students must have access to a laptop or computer and internet access for this class. You will need to install some free writing programs on your device.
- Understand the steps needed to write a book
- Gain skills in thinking about your audience and future readers
- Acquire knowledge in executing your book, including topics such as storyline, creating chapters, choosing a title, referencing and documenting sources, and editing
- Gain knowledge in creating the visual aspect of a book, including design, layout, illustrations
Who Might Enjoy This Class
- Anyone interested in publishing a book