"The instructor was of great help and full of knowledge. The fun part was using the shop and learning with others from different fields."
"The mixture of classroom and hands-on learning provided an opportunity to apply the techniques we were learning in person and get immediate feedback. The informal setting allowed everyone to ask questions as we went along, allowing each person to get insights on other projects/jobsites/approaches."
"This program gave me a much-needed confidence boost! I feel like I have the fundamentals that I will need to bring with me into troubleshooting both in the office and on the jobsite."
Demand for workers with residential building skills in the Seattle area is enormous, and jobs can be rewarding and well-paying. This new certificate program provides hands-on career training in “whole building” residential construction.
Designed to put your skills to work in the field, this program is open for people with no experience, as well as anyone currently working in construction who would like to take their career to the next level.
Learn foundational construction skills, gain experience with tools and materials, develop carpentry skills, and build interior and exterior finishing skills. Lecture, discussion, and written materials will prepare you to take the Carpentry Basic Certification exam.
Gain the knowledge and experience for gainful employment and advancement in residential construction.
- Week One - September 28 - Introduction (plus Saturday, October 1)
- Week Two - October 5 - Hand Tools
- Week Three - October 12- Hand Power Tools
- Week Four - October 19 - Stationary Power Tools
- Week Five - October 26 - Wood and Wood Products (plus Saturday, November 5)
- Week Six - November 9 - Fasteners
- Week Seven - November 16 - Jobsite Safety and Construction Aids
- Week Eight - November 30 - Building Plans and Codes
- Week Nine - December 7 - Building Layout (plus Saturday, December 3)
- Week Ten - December 14 - Review
Residential Construction Academy Carpentry 5th Edition. ISBN13: 9781337918503 and ISBN10: 1337918504. Available as hard-cover book, e-book or MindTap.
"This program gave me greater knowledge, better understanding, and a space to hone my skills, plus a network with other students that, I hope, will benefit our careers in the future." - Graduate from 2021-22
You can READ MORE about the full program on the Seattle Colleges website, and then return to this page to register.