Are you bilingual and interested in learning professional translation skills? Whether you’re brand new to the field, or have some experience and would like training, learn about translation and gain experience doing Spanish/English translation in this hands-on class.
Build skills in editing, proofreading and localizing using a variety of texts. Improve your linguistic research skills and learn how to efficiently produce a high-quality client-ready translation.
This course will help you apply your language skills to enhance the quality, speed, and accuracy of your translation assignments.
Successful completion of our Translation and Interpretation Fundamentals Certificate program is strongly recommended, but no previous translation and/or interpretation experience is required.
- Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Create a client-ready translation
- Self-edit and proofreading with a variety of texts
- Improve your linguistic research skills
- Use consistent terminology
- Complete small translation assignments within the set production time-frame
- Self-evaluate the quality of a translation
- Collaborate with a translation team incorporating translation steps
- Reflect on criticism from other translators in order to improve the quality of translation
Who Should Take This Class?
Prerequisites: Basic computer skills and the ability to comprehend English and Spanish at an educated near-native level. Successful completion of our Translation and Interpretation Fundamentals Certificate program is strongly recommended, not required. No previous translation and/or interpretation experience required. The age minimumis 18, or we ask you to please fill out the required release form.
- Students who successfully completed the Translation and Interpretation Fundamentals Certificate program offered by Seattle Central College Continuing Education
- Novice translators who would like to improve their practical translation skills
- People who are bilingual who would like to become a professional translator or localizer
- Professionals who are often asked to translate work-related materials for their customers/clients but who have never received translation training
- Interpreters who wish to provide a translation service in the near future
This class is held online by videoconferencing twice weekly on Tuesday and Thursday. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins. Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.