Kum arayn (come in) -- join the Yiddish revival! We will begin by learning the alef-beys together, then go on to learn basic conversation, reading, and grammar through interactive games, songs, and dialogues. Gain confidence and vocabulary to carry on a conversation beyond just knowing the odd Yiddish word or phrase. Learn vocabulary for greetings, family members, health, the weather, and so on, through a communicative approach. Gain practice speaking and listening with the instructor and classmates. Enjoy a fun and interactive environment. By the end of the course, you will be able to read, speak, and translate simple Yiddish. All are welcome -- no prior Yiddish knowledge necessary. Required textbook: In Eynem: The New Yiddish Textbook, ISBN 978-1-7343872-3-0.
- learn to read and write in Yiddish
- acquire vocabulary, phrases, and expressions from a wide range of topics
- develop conversational skills in exchanging information – introducing yourself, family, job, hobbies, your day, etc.
- gain exposure to Yiddish historical materials such as songs, poems, and newspapers
In Eynem: The New Yiddish Textbook, ISBN 978-1-7343872-3-0
Who Might Enjoy This Class?
- This class is for students who want to learn how to read, write, and speak Yiddish or who are curious about the language, regardless of whether they have family background in Yiddish culture.
- When : Monday, Apr 10 to Jun 19 ; 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
- Location : Online
- Fee : $199