Pets are such an important part of our lives -- why not let yours be your artistic muse! Explore the fascinating art of drawing pets in this fun class.
Learn a variety of techniques to portray your favorite pet to create a drawing that is vibrant and expressive. Explore light, shadow, proportions, exaggeration, facial expression and detail. In this class you can experiment and develop your drawing skills, starting with the very simple and building from there. You will create several pet portraits to enjoy, and also have new skills and approaches for drawing that you can use with other subjects.
- Drawing Pencils
- 2B, 4B, 6B pencils (or set) (HB and 8B optional)
- Paper Blenders (Blending Stomps, not Tortillons)
- Pencil Sharpener (preferably one that has a plastic shaving catcher)
- 9 x 12' or 11 x 14' drawing paper pad (at least 70 lb. – drawing pad, not sketch paper pad)
- White Vinyl eraser (Strathmore or Canson or Blick is good)
- Optional: For drawing white details you can choose:
- Best: Detail Eraser/ Mechanical Eraser: (Tombow Mono Knock 3.8) or you can use the pink eraser at the back of a regular pencil for drawing details
- 6B and 8B woodless pencils
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Draw simple renditions of animals and pets
- Use a variety of new skills to depict animals and pets in a more realistic manner
- Depict light and shadow in your drawing
- Use proportions to get the result you'd like in your drawing
Who Should Take This Class?
- Anyone who is interested in learning to draw
- People who enjoy drawing and would like to practice and have the guidance of an instructor
- Anyone who loves animals and pets and would like to create a portrait of them
- Artists who would enjoy drawing a new subject matter = pets!
This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins. Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.