Increase your imagination, creativity, and perception through the practice of drawing! Drawing is the fundamental basis of all visual art, and it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. Get started drawing in this engaging class geared for seniors, but open to all ages.
Discover the fundamental concepts of drawing such as light, shadow, proportions, details, and perspective. Learn how to draw many subjects including animals, nature, people, and “still life” objects. Explore how you can use a pencil to create an image that looks like it has three dimensions.
You’ll be surprised how quickly your skills will improve by observing the instructor and drawing along in a step-by-step method. Class presentations make it easy to learn and put the techniques into practice. Once you learn these skills, you will find they start to become second nature. Increase your ability to represent the world around you!
This class is part of our Broadway Hill Club offerings, designed for older students and offered during the daytime on diverse topics, though students of all ages are welcome.
- Pencils (graphite): 2B, 4B, 6B; optional: 8B; optional: woodless pencil (6B or 8B)
- Drawing paper pad - either 9"x12" or 11"x14"
- White vinyl eraser
- Mechanical eraser, or pink eraser on the back of common pencils (for detail erasing and drawing white lines on gray areas)
- Paper blending stomps, 3-4 in a variety of sizes; (or you can use paper towel or tissues if you can't find these for the first day)
- Pencil sharpener (preferably with shaving collector)
- Set of colored pencils (24 to 48)
- Explore the various uses for drawing tools and supplies
- Draw representational objects and scenes
- Represent 3-dimensional space through the use of light, shadow, and detail
- Become familiar with blending techniques
- Accurately draw 3-dimensional objects, the building blocks of all other drawings
- Combine 3-dimensional objects to make more complex drawings
- Expand your use and understanding of form and line
- Be able to draw proportions accurately
- Represent 3-dimensional objects and scenes using simple perspective
- Utilize light and dark details
- Maximize the use of value, contrast, line, marks, and details to draw with expression
Who Might Enjoy This Class
- Anyone who is interested in enriching their lives with the joy of drawing
- People who would like to gain or improve their drawing skills and apply those skills to draw a variety of subjects
- Anyone wanting to develop new skills to express themselves
- People who would like to gain foundational drawing skills to support any other visual art medium
- No experience is needed -- everyone is welcome!
- When : Thursday, Apr 13 to Jun 15 ; 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Location : SC0BE , SC - BE - Cont Edu - BE1139B
- Fee : $169