"I walked away with all I expected and more! I'm inspired."
"I learned so much from your grant writing classes - can't wait to make use of my new skill and have a positive impact. I met some lovely classmates (virtually) too!
"The class was well organized and informative, the tools and resources shared were applicable to real world scenarios, and class discussions were casual and interesting."
"Great! The coursework and videos are high quality. I appreciate how easy it is to use the coursework site."
"Allison put together a fantastic and informative course."
"Great, approachable, organized instructor. Class is great!"
The world of grant seeking is becoming more competitive. Gain the skills to become a successful grant writer either as the head of an organization, program manager, or as a fund developer. Learn a series of key skills related to project design, development and persuasive writing.
Discover where to find grant opportunities, how to write grant reports, and how to build relationships with grantmakers so that you have all the information you need to get funding for something you care deeply about. Explore the ethics involved in writing proposals and reports, and receiving funds.
Topics will include:
- Grantwriting as an essential skill for organization leaders, program managers and fund developers
- Prospect research -- learning where to find grants and best approach to research
- Project development – using the logic model to design your project
- Formulating goals, outcomes and objectives
- Preparing a project work plan and timeline
- Budgeting your project
- Editing for persuasive communications
- Packaging your document for either snail mail or email
- Building relationships with grantmakers
- The ethics involved in the grantwriting process
This online class includes 18 lessons with videos, text, writing assignments, and quizzes, plus an hour weekly meeting for group discussion. It is usually taught as a college-level course with 16 hours of instruction plus additional writing time outside of class. However, as an online class, you can do the class at your own pace. You will receive one-on-one personalized feedback on your writing and grant strategy - a huge asset of this class that sets it apart from others.
In order to achieve the certificate, you will need to complete a grant proposal within the eight weeks, following the course curriculum. Your instructor, Allison Shirk, has more than 20 years of experience writing grants. She will guide you through this process step by step.
Meet weekly via Zoom for discussions, and use course communication systems for written assignments and online group interaction. Students must create an account in the online course. Google Drive is utilized for peer review of writing assignments.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Properly outline goals for grants
- Develop proposals that will help you win grants
- Utilize skills in how to present your proposal
- Develop relationships with grantmakers
- Have a finished grant proposal developed with the guidance of an expert
Who Should Take This Class?
- Nonprofit founders, program managers, or employees who are responsible for securing funding
- Fund development consultants who are interested in honing their skills
- Freelance writers interested in expanding their available services
- Anyone interested in a career in nonprofits, fund development, or grantwriting