Virtual Reality Foundations Certificate
Are you interested in creating your own apps in virtual reality? Get started in a career as a developer in the real-time 3D ecosystem by taking this Virtual Reality Foundations Certificate course.
Virtual reality is a rapidly growing, high-wage field with job opportunities in the Seattle area, throughout the country, and internationally. Virtual reality offers unlimited possibilities for use in science, technology, education, entertainment, and beyond.
Develop skills to become a creator in virtual reality, and help shape the future of the technology while it’s still in its early stages. This certificate course is part of Seattle Colleges' Extended Reality micropathway, one of the only programs of its kind in the nation.
This Virtual Reality Foundations Certificate course consists of three classes (see Details below).
The course teaches students how to use C# programming language and Unity software. C# is known to be good for beginners and relatively easy to use. Unity also considered a good program for beginners and has a large and active community of users providing support. Learn more about Unity.
Being a developer in virtual reality is a highly compensated field. According to Glassdoor, VR developers making an average salary of $93,400.
Certificate & Certification
Upon completion of this course, you will earn a certificate of completion, which can be helpful to demonstrate your commitment to a potential employer. The course will also prepare you to take the Unity User: Programmer Certification and Unity User: VR Developer User exams. These exams are an opportunity to verify your knowledge and also help you identify any gaps you might have. They are also a valuable way to demonstrate to current and future employers what you have learned, which can be a major asset for your resume, job hiring, and promotion.
Duration: Three quarters, one class per quarter; estimated minimum of 5-10 hours/week of total student commitment
Total Hours: 140
Cost: $4,485 total:
- Intro to Software Development: dates TBD; online; $995
- Intro to Immersive Media 1: Tuesdays & Thursdays, Sep 26-Dec 14; 7-1 pm; $1,495
- Intro to Immersive Media 2: dates TBA; $1,995
- Develop the skills to create your own apps in virtual reality
- Create interactive, real-time, immersive 3D experiences (using Unity software)
- Explore a career path as a virtual reality developer
Who Might Enjoy This Certificate Program
- Future creators in virtual reality
- People interested in preparing for a career path in virtual reality development
- Future developers who want to create their own apps or games in virtual reality
- Anyone interested in learning how to create immersive experiences in Unity
- People interested in taking the Certified User exams - a great way to verify and validate your knowledge and get a job, position, or pay raise
- Anyone interested in the guidance and support of instructors with expertise, using college equipment, and training in a relatively short time frame and with low cost (relative to getting a college degree)
- High-school level of mathematics knowledge
- Basic familiarity with computers and graphic software (like Adobe Photoshop)
- Basic knowledge of programming concepts like variables, loops, and conditional logic