Would you like to feel more confident and safe walking around the city or going places at night? As an older person, you can increase your sense of security and maintain your independence by learning a few tips, tricks, and skills to keep at bay those who might mean you harm.
Learn to recognize when someone is looking at you like a victim, how to evade and thwart their plans, and a few simple yet highly effective physical moves to surprise and stun your attacker. EmPOWERment has never been more fun! This is a great class to take with your friends or a place to make new friends.
This course is part of our Senior Series, courses designed for older students offered during the daytime on diverse topics, though students of all ages are welcome.
Athletic prowess is not required! Come prepared to challenge yourself and enjoy the self-confidence you will gain.
Participants will gain a basic understanding of personal safety and self-defense in order to:
- recognize “red flags” that someone may mean harm
- use their “exit strategy” skills to thwart intended harm
- use physical skills to disable an attacker and escape, if necessary
- seek support and appropriate self-care after an intended assault
Who Should Take This Class?
- This class is for seniors who would like to continue having an engaged and active lifestyle.
- This course is part of our Senior Series, courses designed for older students offered during the daytime on diverse topics, though students of all ages are welcome!
This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins. Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.