Do you want to learn Chinese but have no time to commute to a school? This class is designed for anyone who wishes to learn practical Mandarin Chinese (Simplified) from their home or office. In this online class, students will meet and interact with the instructor and other like-minded classmates. Students will learn basic Chinese characters, vocabulary and expressions in everyday life. During class time, students will be practicing pronouncing, reading and writing Chinese as well as learning essential grammar. This class prepares students build basic Chinese conversational skills in familiar topics. Students will also enjoy exploring traditional and modern Chinese cultures. You will use a video conferencing system through our learning management system (LMS), called Canvas, to connect with your instructor and classmates, and to access course content throughout the quarter. A portion of this course may be recorded for learning and review during the course, and the files will be deleted after the end of the course. A personal computer with a camera and microphone is required. Required textbook: Integrated Chinese 4th Edition, Volume 1 Textbook (Simplified Chinese), ISBN: 9781622911356.
By completing this class, you will:
- identify first essential action words
- write and read basic Chinese characters
- learn daily vocabulary and expressions in real life situations
- read and comprehend short passages written in Chinese characters
- practice sounds, tones and grammatical constructions
- explore traditional and modern Chinese cultures outside/inside the U.S
Integrated Chinese 4th Edition, Volume 1 Textbook (Simplified Chinese), ISBN: 9781622911356.
Who Should Take This Class?
Prerequisite: 1 quarter (20 hours) of Chinese study or the equivalent
- Anyone who has completed Chinese – Level 1 or has studied one quarter (20 hours) of Chinese or the equivalent
- Chinese language students who would like to improve their essential Chinese conversational skills
No class on 11/24. This class is held online by videoconferencing. It is led by an instructor(s) in real-time as an interactive class experience. To attend and participate fully you will need access to a computer or device with video and a microphone, plus high-speed internet connection. Instructions to access the class will be emailed to you by the instructor or staff member before the class begins. Note: part of this class might be recorded, for the students and instructor to use for review only; recordings will be deleted after the end of the quarter.