Whittling is a simple and fun hobby that many people enjoy all over the world. In this hands-on class, learn how to carve your own one-of-a-kind hair fork! It’s a practical and beautiful device for people with long hair and makes a great gift.
Learn how to use the tools safely and select wood for your project. Gain skills in making basic cuts and use proper whittling techniques. You will also learn how to sharpen and hone your tools to keep them razor-sharp. If you’ve taken carving classes with us before, this will be an opportunity to hone your skills on another project.
Discover a new hobby, develop handy skills, and meet other crafty folks in this rewarding class! No previous whittling experience required.
Supplies Needed (Students must bring the items listed below to the class)
- Whittler’s detail knife / sharpen carving knife (recommended: KN13 Flexcut knife)
- Carving gouge set (recommended: Mikisyo Power Grip Carving Tools 7 Piece Set)
- Thumb guard and/or cut-resistant gloves
- Leather honing strop with polishing compound (recommended: BeaverCraft Leather Honing Strop with Polishing Compound LS2P1SR41 3”x 8”
- Double Sided Leather Stropping Kit for Knife Sharpening Vegetable Tanned Leather for Stopping Tools)
- Obtain knowledge of whittling
- Understand how to use carving tools
- Carve safely and with confidence
- Be familiar with how to select woods depending on the project
- Make basic cuts and techniques
- Understand how to sharpen the tools
Who Might Enjoy This Class?
- Anyone interested in learning the art of whittling
- People looking for a new hobby, creative outlet, or craft to do with your hands
- Anyone who would like to make small gifts from wood
- Perfect for anyone who has taken our other wood carving classes: Whittling Basics, Wood Carving: Animals, or Wood Carving: Spoons