"I enjoyed the writing prompts, the 1:1 and the peer reviews were beyond inspiring. Loved every minute of class."
"The instructor is knowledgeable, kind, and organized. Great info and wonderful feedback."
"Wonderful group of writers in the class."
"In addition to generously offering a one-on-one meeting with her, Ann gave us thought-provoking, creative exercises every week that inspired and encouraged us."
"I appreciate how Ann built the course through themes and topics giving specific examples and readings that helped me integrate the material into our writing."
Start telling your life story! In this class, gain the support and motivation to get started, and continue to move forward, writing the story of your life.
From ideas to notes, to messy first drafts and the final polish, we'll cover the basics of writing. Learn how to find and develop your own unique voice, and how to discover your story through writing. Explore the tools of the trade, some of which memoirists borrow from fiction writers, others from journalists, and still others from poets.
This class will provide you with time and focus for writing together in class. You will also be expected to write between classes, in order to develop your practice, although there will be no fixed amount of writing required. Sharing will be encouraged but is always optional. Learn and practice the art of giving and receiving supportive, insightful feedback.
There will be handouts and/or reading suggestions offered in class.
- Overcome fears about writing and get started
- Find your voice and learn to write comfortably and confidently as yourself
- Discover your story through writing
- Learn to treat your writing seriously and with respect
- Think, observe, interview, and read as a writer
- Become comfortable sharing your writing with others
Who Might Enjoy This Class
- This class is for anyone who wants to write about their lives
- Open to writers at all levels
- No experience is needed; everyone is welcome!